Bathroom How To Guides

How To Master Your Bathroom Etiquette

As one of the most private and vulnerable spaces, both at home and in public, the bathroom is a minefield for ardent practitioners of social etiquette. Whether you’re afraid of offending someone with your dirty washroom deeds, or want to find out if the rest of the population share your bathroom habits- and pet hates -then look no further.

Our infographic takes an in depth, and perhaps socially unacceptable, look at the toilet time wasters and shower singers of our nation, to see who does what when they’re doing who knows what. Read on to upgrade your bathroom etiquette and become a master of proper W/C manners.

Transcript:

Navigating the minefield of everyday etiquette can be a difficult matter, whether you’re composing a work email or wondering whether you should be giving up your bus seat to someone else. When it comes to the most delicate of spaces – that of the bathroom – it can be even more puzzling when it comes to working out what’s acceptable. To help you master your bathroom etiquette we’ve asked the public what they think is perfectly fine, to what they consider downright dirty . . .

The Big Toilet Seat Issue 

Is it really that much of a problem?

Yes! 87% of women want to find the toilet seat down . . .AND 60% of men do too!

So who is that toilet seat culprit then?

So, once the toilet seat is finally down, is there anything else we do on the toilet other than use it?

A 37% majority like to do nothing else on the toilet other than the very business they’re there for. However, the other 63% enjoy a combination of:

Thinking = 35%

Reading = 27%

Checking Emails = 22%

Playing Games = 14%

Watching Videos = 12%

Singing = 5%

With a mysterious 6% claiming to do something ‘other’ than all the above whilst enjoying their time on the porcelain throne.

Overall, men are more likely than women to do all of these activities on the toilet . . .apart from thinking.

Feeling chatty? 

Ever held a conversation from behind a cubicle door? If so, you’re not alone, but that doesn’t mean it’s good etiquette:

There’s a very high chance of making someone feel angry or uncomfortable when talking to them whilst on the loo.

Just 1 in 25 people are happy to bother with bathroom banter whilst doing their business.

Keep conversation to a minimum in the bathroom!

Shake hands with your right . . . 

If you’ve ever shaken someone’s hand only to feel a clammy palm, then here’s a statistic to make your skin crawl:

1 in 100 people don’t wash their hands after using the toilet . . .

So are we becoming less hygienic overall?

It appears so with 18-24 year olds more likely to do the following than those aged 55 and older. . .

42% more likely to wee in the bath or shower

4 times more likely to not wash hands after going to the toilet

3 times more likely to use a dirty toilet

3 times more likely to use someone else’s razor

3 times more likely to use someone else’s toothbrush

  • 25% less likely to courtesy flush

Bathroom etiquette isn’t as observed by younger generations

65% of people aged over 45 have never used someone else’s products in the bathroom, but only 30% of 18-24 years’ olds can say the same!

Overall the top three products that people are most likely to use, and which belong to somebody else, include:

  • Shower gel/Shampoo
  • Facewash
  • Razor

Women are major offenders with the final item, being twice as likely to use someone else’s razor than men!

Bathroom Etiquette around the nation

We all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to such a private space as the bathroom, and these quirks seem to be represented depending on the area that we call home:

People in Wales are most likely to Sing in the Bath/Shower  - 57%

People in Northern Ireland are most likely to Courtesy flush – 47%

People in the South West are most likely to Wee in the shower/bath – 49%

People in West Midlands are most likely to Cry in the shower /bath – 32%

People in North West are most likely to fall asleep in the bath

People in Yorkshire are most demanding of having the toilet seat down – 78%

People in London are most likely to have ‘relations’ in the bath or shower – 25%

People in North East are least likely to wash their hands after using the toilet – 2%

People in Scotland do the most thinking whilst sitting on the toilet – 42%

People in East Anglia are most likely to clean a toilet before sitting on it

People in the East Midlands are most likely to do very little other than what baths and showers are meant for - 19%

How does your bathroom etiquette compare to these results? Are you a model bathroom occupier, or are your bathroom habits currently circling the drain?

Share this post

Connect with us

contact us

Click Here