There are many different types of toilets, available however generally you can sort them into five different categories:
● Close Coupled – this is where the cistern is attached and sitting directly on top of the pan.
● Wall Hung – this arrangement is where the toilet pan is hung on the wall or on a piece of furniture.
● Back to Wall – the pan in this instance is sitting on the floor with the cistern concealed in the wall or inside a unit.
● Low Level – the cistern is mounted on the wall with an exposed pipe joining it to the pan which is sitting on the floor.
● High Level – this is a similar arrangement to the low level pan and cistern except that the cistern is mounted very high on the wall requiring a chain to flush.
This article (http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/DIY/how-to-fit-a-new-toilet) deals with fitting a close coupled toilet so you can follow what to do step-by-step.
If you would prefer watching how to install a close coupled toilet, you can do so by watching the video below: